Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Is It Easy?

I am often asked if it is easy to become an Executive Coach. My answer is 'it depends'. Mostly it isn't easy and has to be learned and the skill built up. It can feel easy to practice its techniques and methods. But it only feels that way when you have done it for a while. Many of these skills and techniques come from simple life experience - learning to listen, being perceptive, seeing what your client doesn't see, asking challenging questions that help them to move on with their thinking. To some this can come easily to others it is more difficult. My eldest son struggled to ride a bicycle when he first started riding on that Christmas morning many years ago. But 2 days later he was going as fast as his little legs could carry him. My youngest son took about half an hour to get going with no help - he just took to it more easily. So my answer to the question 'is it easy?' is always 'it depends'.

No comments: