Sunday, June 29, 2008

Coaching and Gender

One thing I've noticed in my years of coaching is the difference between men and women. The women I have coached put more emphasis on verbal expression and talking in great detail about a particular issue they are dealing with. Men on the other hand tend not to. Their sentences seem shorter and some even seem to struggle to articulate issues. This does not mean that one is 'better' than the other, just different emphases. And it is by no means always the case, they are just tendencies I've noticed. I'd love to hear from anyone else who notices similar gender differences among managers and execs - not just to do with coaching. Have you ever been coached by your manager or any one else? Or have you ever coached anyone? and noticed gender differences in communication styles. If so let me know... You can contact me personally at michael@coaching-coaches.com and I will post your comment here.

No comments: